Makerfield Chapter No 2155
Consecrated: 17th July, 1894
Makerfield Chapter was founded towards the end of the Victorian era. Britain had a thriving Empire and lucrative discoveries were being made in her colonies. Morse signal, early radio and the internal combustion engine were only just developing. Against this backcloth our Founders (members of Elias Ashmole Chapter No 148) set upon a course of bringing this Chapter into being.
The Chapter was consecrated at the Pied Bull Hotel, Newton-le-Willows, but in 1903 moved to the Chapter rooms at the Town Hall. In 1939 the Town Hall was vacated and the Chapter moved to Newton Cricket Club Pavilion. Five years later a move back to the Town Hall was followed in 1958 by relocation to the Fleece Hotel, Ashton-in-Makerfield. Finally, in 1975 the Chapter moved to its present home, Leigh Masonic Hall.
In 1994 the Chapter celebrated its Centenary. At this meeting a Centenary Charter was presented and Centenary jewels distributed to all members on what was both a memorable and enjoyable occasion.
Currently Chapter members are drawn from Lodges outside the Leigh Group, reflecting Makerfield Chapter’s links with its past; indeed, this practice is encouraged, as new friendships are made in a wider Masonic circle. All the members are proud to be associated with this old and respected Chapter. We are very much aware of the fine traditions and the practice of Masonic virtues that have been handed down from our Founders, which we will preserve for our future Companions.